Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Chocolate Lover

Relationship breakup, bad day at work, that time of the month or a girls night in….these are just a few excuses we ladies find for a good old Choco fix!
I have to admit, I’m hooked to the brown stuff bad!
So much so that my attentive boyfriend has hidden chocolate bars in my shoes knowing it would make my day!
I’ve eaten my entire advent calendar on the 1st December, walked an hour in the rain to the shops for a Milky Bar and happily munched my way through a whole box of Celebrations…and I’m sure I’m not alone…well…none of you have probably been as mental as to ladle cocoa powder into your mouth when cravings strike but hey!  (I found that did help…marginally!)
Chocolate has generally been branded as fattening and unhealthy but try to bear in mind the reassuring  facts, like it contains calcium and has a positive effect on the brain chemistry therefore it improves your mood!  The Institute of Food Research once quoted that "Eating chocolate can have significant influences on mood, generally leading to an increase in pleasant feelings and a reduction in tension."  I’d also like to add that gulping grapes in front of the TV will NEVER top masticating on Malteasers!
I’ve watched family and friends pile up their shopping trollies with crisps, sausage rolls, dips and chips galore but when you go to grab a box of Choccies it’s “No I’m trying to be good thanks”  
Well I reckon one of those Lindt balls a day keeps the doctor away!  They may contain more calories than a stick of celery but life’s too short to miss out such delicious pleasures!
Obviously, I’m not saying its right to scoff a whole box of Celebrations- that is quite shameful! (Especially when they’re your mums…you go to replace them…then also devour the box you replaced!!) 
A similar occurrence happened when our old housemate Dan moved in back home- he should have been warned about my sweet tooth but the poor lad wasn’t to know as he put his Giant Dairy Milk Crunchie Bar in the fridge…alas, I go to grab milk for my boring cereal and spot the familiar looking wrapper and that was it…five minutes later, the whole bar had been consumed and there I sat, guilt ridden, disgusted with myself and with stolen chocolate melted over my ridiculously hot hands.
Down I rushed to the shops to replace the chocolate but no Giant Dairy Milk Crunchie Bar’s to be found- therefore I had to grab a box of Lindt Chocolates as an apology replacement and fess up to my culinary crime!  A great start to living with me I’m sure!
Megan Fox in Transformers or Brad Pitt in Troy may get a few hearts racing but try keeping a cool head when the incredible, chocolaty treats are exposed in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Chocolat!  Just Divine!  Those films wouldn’t of worked with pizza or sandwiches …you couldn’t imagine Augustus Gloop in “Charlie and the Meat Factory” not being able to resist a Gravy River! 

I was recently lucky enough to explore Choco heaven in Sydney at a Guylian Café where I stood dribbling over the stunning cakes, pastries, petit fours and famous shell truffles whilst my friends tried to hurry me along!  I managed to convince them all in a purchase and I picked out two gorgeous looking square truffles- one with a white chocolate filling and another with the renowned Guylian praline centre!  Wow they were delicious- as if I needed any more chocolate though after receiving a box full of UK Cadbury treats from my boyfriend’s mum for Christmas.  (Aussie Cadbury’s add an extra ingredient to stop the bars from melting which creates a less creamy taste)
I can’t imagine my life without the odd box of chocolates and even though we all have to watch our weight as our metabolism deteriorates, I will never be giving up my good friend Mr Cadbury!  As a wise woman once said “Chocolate is cheaper than therapy and…you don’t have to make an appointment!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment