Monday, September 19, 2011

Battle of the Bulge

Stepping on the scales the other day was up there with the times when I bashed my face up from running into a pole and had my bum groped by an old drunk on the street.  It really wasn’t a pleasant event.  Not that I was surprised after a few lazy weeks pretending there was no such thing as a gym and gorging on takeaways, chocolates and three course dinners! 
Like most twenty-five year old girlies, I have come to realise that gone like the wind is my fast metabolism and here to stay is wonderful cellulite. 
As the family glutton, I have always been the butt (excuse the pun) of good natured jokes for my constant munching but no more can I stuff my gob with burgers, nachos, pizza and cheesecake without feeling any waves of guilt…or the layers of flab a’ building.   
I did think I’d be swapping English comfort food for healthy fruit smoothies when I relocated to Oz but it seems my original plan of being a tanned and toned local was overly optimistic.
So how do you shift the pounds if you’re foodies like us and can’t be bothered to hit the gym every single day?
We love our food flavours too much to live on a diet of bland protein and veg.
I have come to the realisation that the only way I can get the best of both worlds is to commit to regular training sessions and healthy eating during the week.  Then, when I no longer feel my bum cheeks smacking against my legs when I run up the stairs, I can go back to my chocolate and chic flic treat sessions, obviously ensuring I still visit the gym at least once in a while to avoid reverting to a state of getting harpooned whilst sunbathing on the beach.
Last time I attempted a health kick, I said to my boyfriend Chris to hide a little pack of chocolates from me and give me one every day just to rid of my nagging cocoa cravings but as soon as he left the house I went on a big quest, found where he’d hidden the pack and scoffed all the choccies.  Epic fail!
I’ve also had my moments of weakness where I’d impulsively buy a giant chocolate bar, take a few bites and then think “What am I doing?” and guiltily bury it deep in the trash.  But then a couple of hours later, I’d sneakily head back to the bin, fish out my now mangy chocolate bar, give it a quick wipe and scoff the rest of it, bin juice and all!!
Because of this I’ve even had to copy Miranda’s genius idea in Sex And The City by pouring detergent over treats I’ve thrown away to deter me from running back to it like some crazy addict!
This is not a very sane, practical or cost effective way to live therefore the only way I can control this sick behaviour is to go “cold turkey” on chocolate during healthy time and ensure I am with someone at all times when passing a supermarket hungry!
I have been eating healthily for five days now and although I welled up over watching the mouth-watering dishes being prepared on Jamie’s 30 minute meals and fear I would rugby tackle anyone with a cream cake, I actually feel pretty darn good already!
I am giving my sweet tooth a detox, pumping and attacking my body down the gym and am only allowing myself the Spiced Lamb Cutlets with rich potato gratin on weekends.
I always try to cook with fresh produce but my meals are generally never shy of carbs so it’s been a challenge inventing healthy, satisfying cuisine which tastes delicious and exciting.  I wanted to still enjoy my mealtimes rather than gnawing sadly on a carrot in the corner.
Along with homemade thick soups and succulent fish I have been enjoying my fresh salads recently so I have added a couple of my own favourite recipes below for those fellow culinary weight watchers wanting to take a leaf out of my book and lose a few pounds.  Even if you’re not on a diet these meals can at least help you enjoy that future Sticky Toffee Pudding without a side helping of guilt!


Tropical Seafood Salad

Cold Cooked Prawns
Smoked Salmon
Avocado
Mango
Salad Leaves
Red Onion
Cherry Tomatoes
Red Pepper
Dash of Sweet Chilli sauce for dressing
Cracked Black Pepper to season

Slice the Mango, Avocado, Onion, Tomatoes and Pepper and arrange in a large bowl with the salad leaves and fish.

Drizzle a little Sweet Chilli sauce over the top and add some cracked black pepper.  Easy!


Lamb and Pumpkin Salad

2 Small Lamb Steaks
Quarter Small Pumpkin
Salad Leaves
Cucumber
Red Onion
Red Pepper
Coriander
Cherry Tomatoes
Natural Yoghurt
Garlic
Fresh Mint
Lemon Juice
Olive Oil
Cracked Black Pepper for seasoning

Chop and de-skin the pumpkin and bake in the oven on a greased baking tray for about 25 mins until golden and soft.

Marinate the lamb steaks with some mint and garlic then BBQ (better) or Fry them in a dash of Olive Oil until slightly crispy on the outside and pink in the middle and slice into strips.

Slice the Onion, Tomatoes, Pepper and cucumber and arrange in a large bowl with the Salad leaves, some coriander leaves, the cooked lamb and pumpkin.

Mix the natural yoghurt in a small bowl with some crushed garlic, a dash of olive oil, lemon juice and chopped mint and then spoon a tablespoon of the mixture onto the salad.

Season with cracked black pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment