No I’m not talking a Starbucks style coffee with a cake or a fatty fry-up at the local greasy spoon before running to the office, I’m talking fresh, delicious feasts which make you wonder why the hell we don’t have such a tradition in the UK!
The best place I used to head to for breakfast back home was “Frankie’s Caff” which was only open on a weekend and upheld by 2 chain smoking biddies who served up bangers tasting of Jiff!
Here in Townsville, the streets may be full of nothing but tumbleweed after 8pm, however as the sun rises, early morning diners gather at the popular eateries dotted about for a good feed and a natter!
As much as I’m partial to soggy hash browns, cold toast and cheap meat hanging off a small, chipped plate at Tescos (I admit more so when hung-over) I can’t think of a better way to start the day than to head to Café Bambini’s for Mushrooms on Brioche or to perch by the Beautiful Briny Sea at C Bar with a giant stack of Pancakes. It is especially wonderful to do all this before work!
Still, one place remains close to my heart (or should I say hips from all the food I’ve consumed there!) That place is Betty Blue and the Lemon Tart.
Betty Blue, from the outside looks a bit like a dodgy estate agents and is situated awkwardly by the city’s main junction but when you walk into the hip, bustling café any feelings of slight concern evaporate.
The décor reminds me of a trendy teashop you’d find down Portobello Road in London and the Homemade Quiches, Tarts, Cakes and Bakes on display in their glass cases look tempting and characteristic.
I’ve tried a few items on the menu now which have all been delicious but one dish remains the finest brunch I’ve honestly ever eaten…the Corn Fritters with Honey Soy Bacon, Capsicum Jam, Avocado and Sour Cream- it’s fireworks in the mouth I tell thee!
I would however, make sure you put your eating hat on before entering such an establishment as their portion sizes are extremely generous and you WILL want to finish everything on your plate!
Betty Blue’s also serve a great assortment of freshly squeezed juices and creamy milkshakes plus the desserts on show mean you have a nice treat to take away with you for tea...trust me; you won’t be able to munch on anything else for a few hours!
This morning eatery is right up my street and I think if places like these were available in England, the country would be a better place…(well at least “Jiff” Sausage free!)





No comments:
Post a Comment