Thursday, November 11, 2010

Desperately Seeking Desserts

I’ve been living in Townsville for nearly 10 months now and dine out on a regular basis but I’m sorry to say I haven’t found a dessert that’s blown my tastebuds away as yet!
One whose hungry eyes are always drawn to the sweet menu first, I’ve been disappointed to see a lack of the old puddings with custard on offer! 
I’ve tasted pleasant Parfaits, creamy Crème Brule’s and commendable chocolate mousses but I’m not a girl who shies away from sickly, calorie filled indulgence so the search for the ultimate Pud doth continue….
Back in the UK, you couldn’t beat a good pub classic like Spotted Dick, Sticky Toffee or Hot Chocolate Pudding served with rich creamy custard after a meal!  I’m also yearning for classics like Bakewell Tart, Apple Crumble and Bread and Butter Pudding with lashings of cream too!  
Here in Oz, such dishes seem absent from the party which I guess is fair enough with it being 30+ degrees outside!
But alas, I can’t help what the tummy desires and so I have decided to share with you my licentious Double Chocolate Croissant Pudding recipe with Cream for all those pudding fiends out there who concur with my sentiments above.
This sweet, gooey creation of mine should satisfy those rich dessert longings for a while!

Double Chocolate Croissant Pudding 
Serves 4

6 Small Butter Croissants sliced in half
150 ml Whole Milk
150 ml Double Cream
1 Vanilla Pod
200g White Chocolate
Small bar of Milk Chocolate
2 Free Range Egg Yolks
55g Castor Sugar
  
Pre-heat the oven to 220c/Gas 7
Grease a medium sized ovenproof dish and arrange a layer of croissants inside it-make sure there are no gaps between the slices
Arrange chunks of the Milk Chocolate over the top and then add a second layer of croissant slices
Place the milk, cream and scraped seeds from the vanilla pod into a small saucepan and simmer gently
Add all but a few chunks of the white chocolate and stir until melted
In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until fluffy
Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan and stir until a custard-like consistency has formed
Pour the chocolate custard mixture over the croissant slices
Grate the rest of the white chocolate over the top
Transfer the pudding to the oven for about 20/25 minutes until golden and crispy on top but gooey in the middle.
Serve warm with loads of Single Cream.

1 comment:

  1. Bex
    Check out my blog
    http://hungryonthecoast.blogspot.com, the most delicious dessert I have ever tasted at Celsius, called strawberry daquoise. There are some photo's too but you will have to come to the coast to try it!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete