I decided to enter my posh take on English Fish and Chips which is a Pan- fried Cod Fillet with Sweet Potato Crisps served with a Pea, Pancetta and Horseradish Cream sauce.
To my hilarious surprise, I received a call later that day letting me know I’d won! Either my recipe blew them away or there were no other applicants…I like to think it was the former!
They informed me a Photographer would be round the next day to take a picture of my finished dish so I raced around various supermarkets and fishmongers to get myself prepared.
The food was cooked, photos were taken, the food was eaten (not by the photographer though I might add who surprisingly opted out of a taste!) and the following week my face was plastered over the paper! What a great start to living in Australia!
Well what did you win? I hear you cry! Was it a delicious meal out? A Hamper? Or even a Pestle and Mortar? Nope…it was a $50 Howards Storage World voucher…not the place foodies dream of but it was still nice to win and I got myself a brand spanking new dish rack so that was good!
I have decided to post the recipe for any of you fish lovers out there to try-
Cambridge Cod and Crisps
Serves 4
4 Cod Fillets
2 Medium Sized Sweet Potatoes
Smoked Paprika (to season)
50g diced Pancetta
1 White Onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp Horseradish Cream
Dash of white wine
150ml Thickened cream
350g Frozen peas
Pinch of caster sugar
50ml thick Chicken/Vegetable stock
50g diced Pancetta
1 White Onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp Horseradish Cream
Dash of white wine
150ml Thickened cream
350g Frozen peas
Pinch of caster sugar
50ml thick Chicken/Vegetable stock
First you will need to make the Sweet Potato crisps by chopping the potato into thin slices.
Place slices onto a well-oiled baking tray and season-sprinkle them on both sides with a generous helping of Smoked Paprika.
Cook them in the oven for around 25 minutes until crisp turning occasionally.
To make the Sauce, fry the Diced Pancetta in some Oil until crisp, next add the chopped Onion and crushed Garlic and cook until soft in texture.
Add the Horseradish Cream and Wine and stir to a simmer, next add the Stock and Cream.
Stir in the Peas and Sugar then season and leave to simmer.
Brush the Cod Fillets with olive oil and season then pan-fry until slightly browned. Finish cooking them in the oven for about 10 minutes.
To serve, lay a bed of the Sweet Potato Crisps on large white plates and rest the Cod Fillet on top.
Pour the Sauce delicately around the plated crisps and there you go-munch time!

No comments:
Post a Comment